Extra Base Hit Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2008

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bryanmurphy9

bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2008-01-18

A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Empty
PostSubject: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 2:42 am

I'd like to see our Minor League Bidding changed to a "closed" bidding style. Where weekly bids would be due say Sunday night to a league e-mail address.. before the season we'd set up some "Regulators of Minor League Bidding" who would check the bids at the end of each week and make sure everything runs smoothly. One of the reasons I think this would work ALOT better than our current system is the fact I think it'd reward the teams that actually work hard and dig through Minor League stats and scouting reports for hours at a time. Cause right now I feel like I'm digging through Minor League stats and bidding on a high ceiling guy, who I doubt that no in our league except about 2-3 owners has ANY clue who they are or what they've done, but yet since you can see each other's bids and have 16 hours to run over to MILB.com and punch in the guy's last name and say "Ohhh.. he's got some pretty good stats, he's pretty young, and Murph usually knows his Minor's guys, so I think I'll get in a bidding war with him". I mean its freaking stupid..... I bet though this idea won't be liked by some, because they're lazy as hell and will say oh well we don't have the time like you do to sit around and scour minor league stats... Typical of the bottom half of this league.
Back to top Go down
Knuckleball
Commissioner
Knuckleball

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 3:03 am

The idea will not work the way you proposed it.

Changes could be made so no manager is named, but you can not have closed bidding because it will lead to two things:

1. People walking away with players for $1 because no one knew they were up on the block.
2. A massive amount of bidding on random players in the first week since no one will know who is being bid on.

I am sure there are other reasons as well.

Maybe if we were real managers dealing with players and agents that whole thing could fly, but when we can't talk to the players we want because it is FANTASY, it doesn't make much sense to have closed bidding.
Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 3:27 am

Knuckleball wrote:

1. People walking away with players for $1 because no one knew they were up on the block.
2. A massive amount of bidding on random players in the first week since no one will know who is being bid on.

1. Thats the whole point, more ppl in this league would have to do some research instead of 4-5 of us doing it for the whole league
2. It wouldn't be massive bidding, each team would send in a "closed bid" every week.. they wouldn't know if any other team had bid on that player or if they were the highest bid till winners would be announced after the week.

If I wanted to bid $13 on Barry Bonds, and you also sent in a bid for $7. Then I would win him for $8. If we both bid the same amount.. whichever bid was emailed first would be the winning bid...

This would be a "1 Sealed Bid" process, some other teams in the league might actually have to do some research on Minor League guys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:14 am

Why is there even bidding? With so many players owned, including at the minor league level, after the draft is over, just open up the FA wire to include minor leaguers. Post to the message boards you want to pick someone up, and a corresponding drop, and the player is yours.

This has the objective you are looking for; if you find a minor leaguer that no one else does, just pick him up.

I, for one, would be in favor of this or a closed bidding system if one could be worked out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 8:44 am

A "closed" bidding system is immensley innappropriate. You can't make anonymous bids on anonymous players, as it defeats to purpose of being fair to all GMs. All GMs must be aware of what player may or may not be on auction. Closed bidding would kill counter-bids & any bidding wars, since it is all in the dark.

And seriously, no GM cares if another particular GM opens a bid on a certain player. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:56 am

I wish I could have teh smarts like Murph Sad
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:27 pm

I wish I didn't have a 7-4 job and 3 children so I could scower stats all day... I'll reside to the same BA, BP, and daily websites everyone else looks at that talk about all the same prospects being bid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 pm

aaronfoster13 wrote:
I wish I didn't have a 7-4 job and 3 children so I could scower stats all day... I'll reside to the same BA, BP, and daily websites everyone else looks at that talk about all the same prospects being bid.

I hired Logan White to oversee my bidding for Minor League players.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:38 pm

This just has too many holes in it. If people keep bidding highly on players, they'll run out of money soon, and you can get other stars that emerge later in the year cheap. It happens every year at the start of the season, there is a spending spree. You just have to wait it out.

Closed bids would be terrible because sometimes people just like to wait on bidding for a player, rather than because of a lack of knowledge.

I think a bidding system works fine, because there are a lot of people that can't really be around baseball everyday with other things in their lives (be it work, school, family, anything) so a bidding system atleast alerts them that so and so is better. Outbidding them or deciding that its too much of a price to pay is the essence of a bidding system, just like regular fantasy. Justin Upton is a really good player, but bidding more than Albert Pujols might have been a mistake, just hypothetically, in a redraft. The more you know, the more you are able to gauge value at what is worth it, and what isn't worth it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

I have RRF on retainer, doing my bidding for me, and have him post false scouting reports for those players that I don't want so people spend their money on them!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:43 pm

This idea sucks. There's not really much hard digging through stats. Give me a break. All you have to do is log on to any prospect website or any blog and you'll see all the buzz and hype you need. Nearly all of the players posted had been mentioned by BA or BP in the past two weeks and it's not really painstaking effort to post somebody that you've read about.

As for having it closed, that also detracts from the strategy. If I want to make you pay more for a guy who is having a nice 2 weeks now so that you're strapped for cash later in the summer when there's more to go on and I get my guys, why not? Have some control and some sense of the bigger picture when you're bidding on minor leaguers.

The system works fine as it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:59 pm

The King Maker wrote:
I have RRF on retainer, doing my bidding for me, and have him post false scouting reports for those players that I don't want so people spend their money on them!

That might work against you. His posts are so long that you read it without knowing whether it was good bad or ugly. you just want to make sure you didn't have an epileptic seizure
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:27 am

I would also like to add that it is wrong to assume the majority of dynasty league GMs are uninformed regarding prospects. We have roster size limits (even if they might not be enforced), so a GM does not always have to bid right away on a target & then be forced to decide who to cut to make room. But if that GM sees someone else opening a bid on a player he likes, now that GM has to seriously consider a counter-bid. Hence, it is not that GMs are uninformed, it's just that there's no rush unless someone else goes after your target.

P.S.
And some of us read about prospects all the time for fun, so we do not consider deepening our depth of knowledge to be work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see   A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Rule Change for NEXT YEAR.. that I'd like to see
Page 1 of 1