Extra Base Hit Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2008

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ben Sheets question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Ben Sheets question Empty
PostSubject: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 10:11 pm

i just found out he won't be added to the DL this year.... does that mean i have to waste a roster spot on him for the entire season .. is it possible i could send him down to my minors, until he signs with a new team ?... was gonna ask you personally Gonzo, but im not sure if this has happened to anyone in the league before.. so i thought i'd bring it up here
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 1:12 am

Well it happened in another league some people in here are part of, and basically the guy who drafted Sheets was allowed to drop him, with the understanding that no one will pick him up, but the guy had to observe that he used only 2 DL spots. And that pretty much made it like he was allowed to place Sheets on the DL.

But since you are in my division, and I want you to SUCK, NO, you have to keep him on your roster, and just for asking this, I'm taking Fielder off your team!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 pm

so i can drop him, and he'll still be mine? .. what a pain in the ass it is to own this guy right now Sad
Back to top Go down
Gonzo
Commissioner
Gonzo

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2007-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 11:55 am

Yea cut him and when someone adds him he will get e-smacked

Can only have 2 on DL though
Back to top Go down
ThunderBalls

ThunderBalls

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Does that mean I can do the same with WMP? I was going to hold him until he signs a AAA deal (or just send him down now as he isnt on an MLB team)... Seems only fair, right?
Back to top Go down
Gonzo
Commissioner
Gonzo

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Who is WMP and is he hurt?
Back to top Go down
ThunderBalls

ThunderBalls

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 12:43 pm

Wily Mo Pena, not hurt, just unemployed (waived) and not on any roster (MLB or MiLB)
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:19 pm

Yes, let's clarify this, because I have Dallas McPherson on my minor league squad and now he's unemployed for the time being. I think the ability to carry them on our minor league squad would be the fair thing to do since some of our fantasy teams have college players (technically free agents) on their minor league teams and in fact I believe some foriegn players such as Yu Darvish don't have a MLB either...
Back to top Go down
ThunderBalls

ThunderBalls

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Ha, look at you being all sneaky moving him down already Smile
Back to top Go down
Gonzo
Commissioner
Gonzo

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 2:14 pm

aaronfoster13 wrote:
Yes, let's clarify this, because I have Dallas McPherson on my minor league squad and now he's unemployed for the time being. I think the ability to carry them on our minor league squad would be the fair thing to do since some of our fantasy teams have college players (technically free agents) on their minor league teams and in fact I believe some foriegn players such as Yu Darvish don't have a MLB either...

That is completely different. Originally Darvish, Strasburg, and whoever were milb eliglbe and people spent draft picks on them.

Sheets has surgery and is out for months and if he had a team he would be on the DL. He is a 1 in a 1000 scenario. The MiLB Squad is for players minors (and those lsited above were considered that when drafted). It isnt for players who have no teams.
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 5:43 pm

I agree with the drafting part, but whats the difference between Yu Darvish and Ben Sheets. Yu Darvish has no MiLB or MLB team that owns him just like Sheets does not have a team? Nor does any team have the rights to Yu Darvish? I guess I just don't understand why someone couldn't stash a player who is not active in the the majors like a Ben Sheets?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 1:40 am

well, im gonna drop him now... ill make a post on the Cbs board so everyone sees it.. when do i have to pick him back up? .. i guess when he signs with a team and gets placed on the DL ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 3:25 am

OK, on this.

Well the Sheets thing is basically a pretty rare one where he's actually injured yet doesn't have a team.

The McPherson one doesn't really work because he was in the minors, brought up, and never sent down. Now, he doesn't have a team, although he will pretty soon once the waiting period for the release is over.

On Yu Darvish, he was drafted as part of the minor leagues, and was never brought up, and since we can leave milb players as long as we want in the minors, there really isn't a problem there.

On Wily Mo Pena, if someone signs him to an MLB contract, then he'd be on the MLB roster. If someone signs him to an milb contract, then you can send him down. Or if there is news that he is injured like there is for Sheets, you can DL him like Sheets, but as of right now, there is no such news.
Back to top Go down
ThunderBalls

ThunderBalls

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Ok, hang on, I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I think you are making too many assumptions that aren't part of our rules or league settings - meaning you are changing rules on the fly = bad.

I don't disagree with the foreign players on rosters drafted last year, that was the system in place and wasn't changed until the off season = good.

Regardless of the situation - injury, unsigned, waived, retired, etc the ONLY thing that matters is that these guys are not on any MLB or MiLB roster. You cannot assume that the only reason Sheets isnt on a roster and thus the DL right now is because of the injury and thus he *would* have been on the DL - that assumption is irrelevant. You dont know if he would have been signed to a FA deal, you are only guessing. The same could be said for WMP, who knows why he isnt signed right now, maybe his shoulder never recovered, etc. Point is, I was prepared to hold him until its resolved one way or another, but you opened this Pandora's box by allowing aberrant behavior that isnt in the rules.

The former Billy Wagner or even Troy Percival (when he retired the first time) owner could have made that same argument but instead followed the rules of the league and dropped the guy. How is this fair to him? I don't care if you want to change the rules of the league, but I do care if you do it once the season has begun.
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:58 am

I hate to beat a dead horse too, but I agree with some of which Thunderballs is saying. The ruling here is being based on assumptions. There needs to be an all or none in this situation. I agree hastly with Thunderballs that these rulings are on a fly. It's like me saying I'm going to drop McPherson, but I call dibs on him when he resigns, regardless if its an injury or he is dropped from a MLB team or something else happened behind the scenes. No offense Jake with Ben Sheets, but it needs to be fair across the board.

I would however argue for all those players (WMP, Sheets, McPherson, or Mike Mussina, for that fact), and on all our rosters or FA in the league that are not on real MLB rosters: either FA, waivered, unsigned, or retired that they should be able to be carried in the minors based on the fact they are not in the real major leagues or on a roster, therefore we don't carry them on our MLB rosters, and that yes the were not sent down to the minors, in fact worse happened: they were cut or unsigned or retired....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 8:06 am

Well honestly, I didn't really think much about set rules, I just suggested it because the other league, which is pretty much a carbon copy of this league, had the same problem, with similar rules, and they did it that way, so figured we could go with honor system on this one was well.

My other suggestion is that we set up a poll or something, and ask if Sheets should be an exception to the rule, and see how people vote, and the commish's vill refrain from voting, and if out of the 17 people left, 5 object to it, (technically 5 out of 16, because I'm pretty sure Jake won't object) we'll just have Jake carry Sheets on his roster. Would that work? I'm just saying this because I think the Sheets situation is different from the other ones, although based on assumptions. And you don't have to show your face, you can do it annoumously, so you don't have to worry about people not objecting to it because they fear backlash or anything. Would both of you be open to that, in this case?

Again, I'm sorry if it came across as something that we're just tossing out the rule books, we just figured no one would mind in this case, because everyone was understanding of it in the other league. I understand the points made here, just that this one is so obvious, figured it'd be fine. If the case of like TB said Wagner (He's still with the Mets, but for this, we'll assume he was released or something) we would've had the same reaction as Sheets. So thats why we'll just put this to a poll, and basically if 30% of the league rejects, then Sheets will have to be picked up by Jake, and kept on his mlb roster until he signs somewhere.

On the minors one, we kinda want to keep the minors for MiLB players. Kinda ruins the whole point of it if you can stash MLB players on it, because then every offseason, anyone who has free agents will move their MLB players down to MILB when they are unsigned, and fill their rosters with other player technically legal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:33 am

i wont object.. i'll do whatever you guys tell me, as long as i get to keep him

the only problem i see from my standpoint is that it isn't too fair that i have to waste an MLB roster spot on him while he's inactive .. i could see if it was for a few days or maybe a few weeks, but for 3 or 4 months or more, i wish i could stash him somewhere (anywhere) but the MLB roster
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:33 am

Well my idea is to allow those free agents to be stashed in the Milb system. I think you gain nothing from doing this, because you waste a spot that could have a potential future star in it and I don't really get the argument that he wasn't demoted in the real minors so you can''t drop him in your minors. In fact, worse happened and he got cut from the team or unsigned..... Just my two sense.
Back to top Go down
jamcam13
Commissioner
jamcam13

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 9:11 am

Jake's right.

Last edited by jamcam13 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jamcam13
Commissioner
jamcam13

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 am

aaronfoster13 wrote:
Well my idea is to allow those free agents to be stashed in the Milb system. I think you gain nothing from doing this, because you waste a spot that could have a potential future star in it and I don't really get the argument that he wasn't demoted in the real minors so you can''t drop him in your minors. In fact, worse happened and he got cut from the team or unsigned..... Just my two sense.

Jake's really right.

Last edited by jamcam13 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ThunderBalls

ThunderBalls

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:11 pm

This is why I raised the issue, everyone is going to have an exception at some point that is justifiable in some sense to the individual. We just need the commishes to come to a conclusion on what is going to be allowed for everyone to end the dialog.
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Agreed, Spell it out!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 10:39 pm

Ok, well since there is such an uproar over it, Jake, please pick up Sheets. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Gonzo
Commissioner
Gonzo

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 10:45 pm

The King Maker wrote:
Ok, well since there is such an uproar over it, Jake, please pick up Sheets. Sorry.

Yea I apologize Jake for "going back on it." In my other 3 dynasties we did the exact same thing and everyone was on board with it; I didnt know such chaos was gonna was gonna break out over it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:21 pm

ok, ill pick him back up... BUT i wish bad karma on you 3 who opposed this.... your situations are NOT the same!

p.s. Jam.. do you see me calling dibs on Maddux after his retiring ? ... SHeets is completely different.. sometimes i think you spew stuff just to hear yourself
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ben Sheets question   Ben Sheets question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ben Sheets question
Page 1 of 1