Extra Base Hit Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2008

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Empty
PostSubject: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 4:58 pm

This was under amendments before, and just wanted to reiterate that we are implementing this rule. Hopefully this will solve the confusion about players being picked up last year and as to what time they qualify to be picked up.

Quote :
Ok, we've had many a problems with players being picked up that have just been called up. Right now, the rule is that they have to play one game. But it's ambiguous as to when that one game is qualified. So hence, this new rule...

Once a prospect is called up (that isn't already owned by one of the teams here), he has to play 1 game.

However, to be qualified for pick up, we take the time of the end of the game, which is going to be calculated by starting time (so if it's a 7:05 game, the starting time is going to be calculated as 7:05, we don't care the National Anthem singer added 10 minutes of lyrics and delayed the game until 7:15) and then add on the time of game provided by mlb.com, to reach the time of the end of the game. So if you want to figure out what time, the game ended, grab a calculator or ask Siri and just add 7:05 (or 10:05 or whatever) plus say 2:58 or 3:10 or however long the game went.

Once you get to the end of the game, add 22 hours to it. That is when, the prospect is eligible to be picked up.

Most games end in the range of 10 pm est to 1 am est. Adding 22 hours to it, for a game that ends at 10 pm est gets you to 8 pm est, and 5 pm pst. For a game that ends at 1 am, this would then be 11 pm est, 8 pm pst. So 22 hours after the prospect's first game, is then eligible to be added.

If the game is canceled, does not count, and you wait till he plays an official game. If the game is suspended, again, does not count, you wait until an official game.

Now, as a deterrent to people camping out at the given times and just picking off everyone, if you pick someone off after 22 hours of the prospect's first game, your ww is knocked back to 20. We can't add every new guy called up to the WW at first (which would have been the easier system if cbs allowed for it), but this is a way of circumventing cbs, yet still enforcing a slight penalty. This won't hurt you in terms of picking up people, it'll just act as if you used your ww priority to pick him up.

Now, once the prospect plays 3 official games, he is now eligible as a normal free agent, and you can pick him up without any penalty. The timing again is calculated, as the starting time of the game plus game time provided by mlb.com. So once the 3rd game is over, he is free game.

This is pretty much a necessary rule at this point so there isn't as much confusion about picking up players that have just been called up without any prior experience and also not on any teams. I know this reads like a lot, but the rule is simple. Easy to calculate the end of the game time. Add 22 hours, and then you pick him up. If you do pick him up, ww gets reset to 20 for you. After 3 official games, he's free for all.

Any one have any problems?

For day games (and Cubs, since apparently they are selenophobic) same rules apply. Mostly since these are weekend games, it'll land you in the mid-day to late afternoon range, which shouldn't be a problem since most of you would be home.

Edited: Adjusted PST to 3 hours instead of 4 hours behind EST like I thought it was for some reason, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 5:14 am

So what about a starting pitcher you have to wait till he makes 3 starts? Also what if there is someone that I wanted and someone grabs him before me yet I have a higher WW ranking so I would win the WW is it still first come first server and screw it if someone grabs him you just lose your WW but screw the order?

Cant someone just pick that person up when he is in the game and drop him so it really puts him on the WW or have a place we can post when someone is in the game so the WW order still applies?

I can already tell you what is going to happen someone is going to pick someone up 30 seconds early and there will be a fight about it. Just nip this in the butt before it happens. Everyone has different times on their clocks if mine is on time then when I think it is 22 hours I pick someone up but another teams clock is 2 minutes late then they will think I picked him up to early. What time are you using then to determine this. This has way to many loop holes in it I can see already that is going to start fights.
Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 am

Agree with Lugnuts, it's not a bad idea just too many loopholes. It needs to be revisited this off-season. I think as soon as they are announced in the starting lineup and the game begins, they should be eligible to be picked up. That's easiest and is an advantage to guys in the league who pay close attention to things like that. I'm not for any rule that makes things easier for the guys that log on once a week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 3:28 pm

I don't think if this rule is in effect it can wait till this off season honestly. I was thinking about it there is a simple solution. If someone wants a rookie then why can't they pick them up after the game ends and then drop them immediately. I don't think it effects the scores even if it puts them with too many players. That would put them on the WW for a couple days then anyone can put a claim in on him. If no one else puts a claim in on him then it wouldn't take his WW position cause he is claimed non-contested.

This I think needs to be resolved right now cause I know there is a couple people that others want and this issue is going to come up in the first week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Banekng wrote:
So what about a starting pitcher you have to wait till he makes 3 starts? Also what if there is someone that I wanted and someone grabs him before me yet I have a higher WW ranking so I would win the WW is it still first come first server and screw it if someone grabs him you just lose your WW but screw the order?

Cant someone just pick that person up when he is in the game and drop him so it really puts him on the WW or have a place we can post when someone is in the game so the WW order still applies?

I can already tell you what is going to happen someone is going to pick someone up 30 seconds early and there will be a fight about it. Just nip this in the butt before it happens. Everyone has different times on their clocks if mine is on time then when I think it is 22 hours I pick someone up but another teams clock is 2 minutes late then they will think I picked him up to early. What time are you using then to determine this. This has way to many loop holes in it I can see already that is going to start fights.

For a starting pitcher, yes, you would have to wait 3 starts before he is free game to be picked up, without the WW repricussions. Otherwise, he's available after the 22 hour clock, from the end of his first game, just will cause your WW priority to be reset. Yes, unfortunately, that's a CBS problem, that we can't fix. There is no way we can put just these guys into the WW.

We did actually think about this, but determined that it's not really plausible for someone to sit around and add/drop new guys everyday, especially when a fair number of them would be non consequential players that are career backups. Ideally, this would work, but we can't make it happen, just too much work to be done for everyone involved, and too much chance that players are missed, especially once we get later into the season.

As far as time goes, you don't have to use your clock.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Use, that as your basis for time. CBS timestamps each transaction, so if there is a problem, we can easily check, and determine if the person was ahead of time or not. If he was, the player gets dropped, goes on WW (your ideal situation). However, whoever made the early pick loses their WW priority (to prevent early timing abuse).

I know this is a bit weird to have this system, but it's because the league voted for players needed 1 mlb game experience to be eligible to be picked up. And we need to provide a universal time that they are available.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:13 pm

bryanmurphy9 wrote:
Agree with Lugnuts, it's not a bad idea just too many loopholes. It needs to be revisited this off-season. I think as soon as they are announced in the starting lineup and the game begins, they should be eligible to be picked up. That's easiest and is an advantage to guys in the league who pay close attention to things like that. I'm not for any rule that makes things easier for the guys that log on once a week.

Well that would be in violation of the 1 mlb game experience rule, since at the time of lineups and first inning, the game isn't official. But if we wait until the game is official, the timing becomes too vague.

This isn't a rule for people who log on once a week, it's just something that gives people a predetermined time as to when a prospect is available, sort of like how everyone knows how much time they have to bid on someone through milb bidding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Banekng wrote:
I don't think if this rule is in effect it can wait till this off season honestly. I was thinking about it there is a simple solution. If someone wants a rookie then why can't they pick them up after the game ends and then drop them immediately. I don't think it effects the scores even if it puts them with too many players. That would put them on the WW for a couple days then anyone can put a claim in on him. If no one else puts a claim in on him then it wouldn't take his WW position cause he is claimed non-contested.

This I think needs to be resolved right now cause I know there is a couple people that others want and this issue is going to come up in the first week.

Well the problem is that we have to have a rule like this, or else the 1 game experience rule people voted for would be in violation. Again, ideally, that would work, but it takes too much work. We can't just cherry pick the players we can add. If every rookie could be added like that, we would love it, but CBS won't allow it unless people sat there and did it themselves. And with how much turnover, rosters have throughout the season, that's a load of work for everyone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Cant the person that wants to pick them up be responsible for add/drop them. Everyone can see if someone does this to put them on the WW. That way if no one really wants him then he just sits there and the no one has to go and add/drop every rookie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 pm

Banekng wrote:
Cant the person that wants to pick them up be responsible for add/drop them. Everyone can see if someone does this to put them on the WW. That way if no one really wants him then he just sits there and the no one has to go and add/drop every rookie.

Yeah, but now everyone is tipping their hand as to who they want, so then we're going to have problems with people complaining that everyone just wants to screw with them and pick off players. I think Bryan voiced this concern over bidding last year or so.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:31 pm

so what happens then where more than 1 person does want someone? Are we just going first come first server then you are saying no matter where you are on the WW ranks? I personally am looking at someone that I am pretty sure others might be looking at too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Yes, first come, first serve on them after the time limit. We can't do anything about that, pretty much like how normal non WW players get picked up. It's unfortunate, but that's what we can do now. If next year, cbs can configure a way, we can change it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 3:46 pm

what if we just use the minor league bidding system for guys like this? if you get the player, you'll be spending your milb bid cash on him.. and if nobody opens a bid on him by a certain period of time (say after his 1st or 2nd game, i dunno), then he's finally on the open market to be added for free like a regular free agent
Back to top Go down
jamcam13
Commissioner
jamcam13

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 pm

I like a commissioner picking up and dropping rookies. Are there really that many? And if someone picks them up before commishes have chance to act, then they get dropped with no other penalty than tipping your hand. I think the ww solution is a great idea. There may even be guys that get completely ignored so it's not an issue. In a league without 400 minors guys owned, this might be cumbersome. But in our situation, Id be shocked if there were more than a dozen or so a year.
Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 am

After seeing it through yesterday, with picking up Kirk Nieuwenheis. I don't mind how this new system works. It's really how bad do you want a guy? Do you want to camp out at the 22 hour time and give up your WW spot...
Back to top Go down
jamcam13
Commissioner
jamcam13

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 11:28 am

bryanmurphy9 wrote:
After seeing it through yesterday, with picking up Kirk Nieuwenheis. I don't mind how this new system works. It's really how bad do you want a guy? Do you want to camp out at the 22 hour time and give up your WW spot...

That's the problem. I'm not 25 years old, and camping out on a Saturday or Sunday is not possible. On the flip, I'm at my office computer all day during the week. Perhaps you are not.

Neither is fair. And I didn't want Captain Kirk, so it's not about him. It's about making a rule that takes into account real life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 pm

jamcam13 wrote:
That's the problem. I'm not 25 years old, and camping out on a Saturday or Sunday is not possible. On the flip, I'm at my office computer all day during the week. Perhaps you are not.

lol.. i dont have an office job, and i cant camp out on saturday or sundays.. now i know how some of you guys do it Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ThunderBalls

ThunderBalls

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 pm

jamcam13 wrote:
I like a commissioner picking up and dropping rookies. Are there really that many? And if someone picks them up before commishes have chance to act, then they get dropped with no other penalty than tipping your hand. I think the ww solution is a great idea. There may even be guys that get completely ignored so it's not an issue. In a league without 400 minors guys owned, this might be cumbersome. But in our situation, Id be shocked if there were more than a dozen or so a year.

Agree here. A commish, or anyone watching a game really, should be able to pick up and drop to add the guy to waivers. This should be step 1. The 22hr thing should apply if no one does this IMO.

In fact, if someone really doesnt want to give away their add, IM a commish and ask them to do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:   Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies: Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pick Up Rule for non owned rookies:
Page 1 of 1