Extra Base Hit Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2008

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bryanmurphy9

bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2008-01-18

2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas Empty
PostSubject: 2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas   2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Mar 08, 2017 11:51 pm

Want to get discussion started on this playoff format.
Back to top Go down
TeamWex

TeamWex

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2017-02-02

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas   2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2017 10:38 am

I am in another 20 team league and we have a playoff system for the bottom 4 finishers in the regular season:
The 4 teams play off to see who gets the first pick in the draft instead of it going automatically to the worse team. The first four picks of the first round are determined by the finishes in the playoffs between the bottom 4 teams. No money is awarded to teams in this playoff. Subsequent rounds of the draft are awarded based on the regular season finishes.
Back to top Go down
jamcam13
Commissioner
jamcam13

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas   2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 11:15 am

TeamWex wrote:
I am in another 20 team league and we have a playoff system for the bottom 4 finishers in the regular season:
The 4 teams play off to see who gets the first pick in the draft instead of it going automatically to the worse team. The first four picks of the first round are determined by the finishes in the playoffs between the bottom 4 teams. No money is awarded to teams in this playoff. Subsequent rounds of the draft are awarded based on the regular season finishes.

I like this idea. To flesh this out:

12 non-playoff teams
top 8 play for money
Last 4 play for draft position (with winner getting 1, finalist getting 2 and 3rd and 4th place for losers of "first round")

Makes for proper bracket and creates playoff divisions (With 3 weeks, so cleared out for actual Championship). I guess the only downside is 15th place team tanking to get into playoff pick pool instead of money pool, but at that point, do we really care?

The one significant downside of all of this non-playoff team playoff is that they will now be competing with playoff teams for players. It still happens where someone picks up a player to protect for the off season. But now, it would become more acute as they would be competing for players that might have short term impact with minimal long term gain that ordinarily they wouldn't have interest in. That is a side effect that I'm not too happy about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas   2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2019 Non-Playoff Team Tournament Format Ideas
Page 1 of 1