Extra Base Hit Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2008

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ThunderBalls

ThunderBalls

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Empty
PostSubject: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Thinking about a rule proposal, like to crowd source here...

If you lose a MLB player for the year before the ASB - about half of us seem to have that each year, you can send him down to the minors and take a slot there for the duration of your season to be more competitive in the league. Rule would mean he would have to get called back up once off the DL - no exceptions.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Think this is a bit of a loophole and I don't like it. It's why we have 3 DL spots, so you're saying you want a 4th? In my opinion, 3 is plenty and I've been there where I've had 4-5 good players on the DL all at the same time. You have to be creative as a manager and make the best of it. I don't like rules that essentially make hard decisions easier for owners in the league. There should be hard decisions in a competitive 20 team league like ours. Like I said, 3 DL spots is PLENTY.
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Agree with Murph on this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:35 pm

i like it. i'd rather cut a minor leaguer then a useful major leaguer.. 3 DL isn't always enough
Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 pm

jake wrote:
i like it. i'd rather cut a minor leaguer then a useful major leaguer.. 3 DL isn't always enough

So if we'd change the rule and have 4, someone would think 4 is not enough and would want 5. MiLB roster should be for MiLB players, PERIOD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 5:37 am

bryanmurphy9 wrote:
jake wrote:

So if we'd change the rule and have 4, someone would think 4 is not enough and would want 5. MiLB roster should be for MiLB players, PERIOD.

i think 4 or 5 would be better.. nothing over 5 though
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 7:13 pm

I think another problem we have with 4 or 5 DL spots is that you are possibly eliminating another 20-40 players from the free agency pool.
Back to top Go down
jamcam13
Commissioner
jamcam13

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 9:53 am

Do not like. Some years, you may just have to make a tough decision on the DL. As Aaron said, we really don't need to be removing more usable players from the pool.

And, I don't want to bastardize the intent of the Minor League roster.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 3:53 pm

I personally like the idea for players that are on the 60 day DL like they have Tommy John or someone who has surgery that everyone knows they will be out for 2 or 3 months for it. Not just for someone put on the 15 DL though.

I don't see how you can all argue that the MiLB should only be for MiLB players. Almost everyone has players that are in the majors and some that have been for a couple years yet they are still in their minors so how is that any different? I think that is taking up more usable players than adding more DL slots because that would only be a temporary thing. Where as long as someone does not call someone up they can leave them in the MiLB as long as they like. I know that a lot of the players still sitting in the MiLB aren't really worth calling up but there are a few that someone would use if they were available. I personally can think of one that someone would be using I would grab if he wasn't sitting in the minors on someones roster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?   Using a minors slot for a player done for the year? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using a minors slot for a player done for the year?
Page 1 of 1