Extra Base Hit Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2008

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Changes for 2011?

Go down 
+2
bryanmurphy9
headcase524
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 1:10 am

Anyone who would like to suggest a change to be made about the league (feasible ones- not like add cats to the scoring system or anything), can do so here.

Here are some that have been mentioned, from the returning owners thread:

Malta with :
Quote :
I want to see something done about lame duck lineups or this will most certainly be my last season

Jake with:
Quote :
i'm with you on this.. but its tough because we reward teams for finishing low (last place = 1st draft pack) .. we would have to give incentive for teams to finish strong, or give incentive NOT to suck .. another league used to have a payout for best 2nd half record, and the top teams in the money weren't eligible.. but the kicker was - the last 3 teams had to pay that prize money

Aaron with :
Quote :
I say since I've been bored as all get out when I haven't made the playoffs that we have a some sort of playoff for the teams that do not make the playoffs and are awarded draft picks based on how they finish that. We do this in two of the dynasty fantasy football leagues that I am in

Spundin with:
Quote :
I like the last two ideas also for possiblities instead of the standard we have

Bryan with:
Quote :
I guess I'm a little old school in my opinion on this.. while those are both great ideas I think they are just making things way too complicated. What more incentive should you have to have every year than trying to make the playoffs and win money? If that doesn't give you an incentive to make your team better then why are you in this league? Also, while I realize things come up and life happens.. I think if a manager has no intentions of making any adds, drops, trades to make his team competitive because he's leaving in the off-season and he knows this in June. Then we should be able to find a replacement for him immediately. This isn't coaches pitch, where everyone's a winner & everyone gets to play. Your team is either good enough to make the playoffs or it isn't. I've felt the same way you have, my team hasn't made the playoffs yet since the league started. That just gives me more incentive every year to make my team better, and get over the hump so I'm not sitting around watching the playoffs every season. The 1st overall pick and so on is more than enough "reward" for your team tanking. What could we do that's more of an incentive than winning $200-$500? Owners join this league with the wrong ideas. If your team isn't good (Isn't top 10 in the standings), its a 2-3 year rebuilding effort to make it competitive. Craig, Pat, Brian, and Jammy are top dogs for a reason. They're good owners who've drafted well, traded well, and payed attention for going on 4 years now. They're also several up & coming teams who are right on their heals. So by all means, to take your team from #18 place to top 5 is an extremely tough task. I think its more about finding the right owners who are in it for the long haul, for a challenge, rather than in it to win money. Cause realistically they're going to be one and done if they take over an orphan and are just in it to win some cash.

Jamcam with:
Quote :
I like the crux of what Murph is saying.

I've suggested this before, and I'm sure it won't pass again, but how about paying 2 years dues? I think the leaders of the league have proven their trustworthiness (or at least enough to trust them with $130) that his can work. Once this is set up, you're still only paying 1 year at a time. It's only the first year you pay double.

There's the incentive - next year's dues are paid. This way, if/when we find new owners, they pay the 1 year, and at the very least there's some "skin in the game" when an owner is looking for a way out (i.e. no refunds). (or, alternatively, you could make them pay the 2 years, and add the leaving owner's $'s into the prize pool for the next year).

Nothing is going to stop people from paying less attention. But, in some way it forms a more long term commitment than - damn! it's July, my team sucks. I'm done. They've paid for the next year.

I don't like paying losers. So, now if I'm the 6th place team with little hope of getting money in the playoffs (or Wild Card that always seems to come in 4th with no prize attached - gee, that sounds familiar), does one back off on his lineup at the end of the year in order to enter the "booby prize" playoffs to win back some of the $ spent? Again, ludicrous, I know, but why reward losing? It just doesn't seem right.

And Aaron again with:
Quote :
Id rather do something like pay this year's dues plus a $20 deposit on the next years team due by the trade deadline. $130 cash in a lump sum is a bit to come up with and explain to my wife....

So if you have more ideas, please share.
Back to top Go down

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 1:29 pm

The problem of owners becoming inactive towards season's end is common in alot of my dynasty leagues in football in baseball. It is human nature to become frustrated and less motivated when seasons go poorly.

Some of my leagues reward active owners with higher draft picks or small payouts, but what works the best is peer pressure. If the league owners take some time to investigate lopsided scorers and tactfully point out poor owner management, owners will be reminded that even though their team is out of contention, their performance still impacts the leauge's outcome. If recurring problems exist with a particular owner, we should discuss the need to find a replacement.

Back to top Go down
headcase524

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2008-01-23

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Rule 5 draft idea:

I'm in another dynasty league (20 teams, 40 man rosters) and each offseason they have a rule 5 draft. The way it works is that each team protects 25 guys. The remaining 15 guys per team are available in the rule 5 draft. Draft order is reverse order of standings from prior season. If you draft a major leaguer you have to give that team a 2nd round pick. If you draft a minor leaguer you have to give that team a 3rd round pick. If you select someone from your own roster you don't lose any picks. If you don't have a draft pick to give up as compensation then you can't make that pick. You can elect to pass if you want. It's only one round and no team can lose more than 2 players.

Last year Adrian Beltre was selected. The year before I think the highlight was Cody Ross. So this obviously isn't going to affect star level players, top prospects, or the core of anyone's team. But it could make things interesting by creating some roster movement that wouldn't have otherwise taken place. This could help a contending team pick up a fringe role player that they need to fill a hole and it could also help a rebuilding team pick up a useful player to build around. It also makes things interesting during the offseason.

Anyway, I think it has some merit and I think it could work in this league so I just wanted to throw it out there.
Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 2458
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Really love Craig's idea, think this is something that would really add a substantial piece to our off-season. I'm all for it!
Back to top Go down
Knuckleball
Commissioner
Knuckleball

Number of posts : 716
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 7:24 pm

headcase524 wrote:
Rule 5 draft idea:

Anyway, I think it has some merit and I think it could work in this league so I just wanted to throw it out there.

It can be put to a vote, though obviously there would need to be a few tweeks since we have a different roster size. I would say if the league does vote for this idea it should have an implementation date of 2012 rather than this year since it would involve the exchange of draft picks, which some people have already moved.
Back to top Go down

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 1:13 am

i think its a good idea
Back to top Go down
smk1363

smk1363

Number of posts : 1232
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 am

i hate the rule 5 idea...it punishes those teams who build a strong 1-45.
Back to top Go down
ThunderBalls

ThunderBalls

Number of posts : 736
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 1:01 pm

Yeah, especially 3 years in, thats not fixing a broken rule, but changing the landscape.

Here are some other really bad ideas for a dynasty league:

Why not just make it a 10 team dynasty- we can get rid of the lower half of the league and get better players!

We could also just make it a 8 person keeper league only - think about the options!!

How about we only let you draft hitters in the minors and now you have to wait for pitchers to make it to the majors! YEAH! This way you can just wait and see how they will perform rather than actually having to pay attention and draft well!

Better yet, how about for every waiver claim you made during the season you lose a draft pick!

YEAH, FANTASTIC!

(Im being sarcastic in case you couldnt tell)

Back to top Go down
smk1363

smk1363

Number of posts : 1232
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Our minor league draft set-up every offseason along with the waiver priority both going to the teams who finish lower in the standings are more than enough to help them catch up in the long run.

It's almost like you want to punish good owners for making entire strong rosters, and that's just stupid.

If it was a serious issue, I could see the idea being valid, but this is changing the entire league for no reason.
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

aaronfoster13

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 3:45 pm

I have been in a league that has done rule 5. It is not suppose to be set up for a league that doesn't use contracts or salaries. You can stick players that have high salaries or really high contract years on the block and being compensated very well under the rule 5. It's suppose to be a tool in those leagues to free up cap space or contract years
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changes for 2011? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes for 2011?   Changes for 2011? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changes for 2011?
Page 1 of 1